Wednesday 10 October 2012

What's next for 'Delboy'?

British heavyweight Dereck Chisora has lost his last three fights and suffered a brutal knockout loss to fellow Brit David Haye in the last one. Now for most people, this would be the end of their career as top-level heavyweight but with Chisora you always get that feeling that this isn't the last we are going to see of him. We all know he is controversial but we also can't deny that he doesn't stop battling and never backs out of any fight.

Now I must admit, I'm a big fan of Chisora and I am curious of what is next for him...

One thing I do not want to see is him straight back in the ring with another opponent that is way out of his league. I have a huge amount of respect for him for taking those fights with the likes of Klitschko and Haye but it's time for him to drop down a level for a few fights. He needs a confidence booster, a fight he knows that he can win. He has proved himself as a contender in his last few fights but nobody likes losing, especially three fights in a row.
In an ideal world I would like to see him recapture the British title but a fight with David Price at this current time isn't the best idea and it completely contradicts what I just said. He could wait for Pricey to vacate the title but that might not happen for at least another few months and I think he'll want to return by then.

So... The British title is out of the picture, and its safe to say that he's not ready for another world title shot yet, so that only leaves the European title. But once again, this would probably mean going straight back into a 50/50 fight (most likely with Robert Helenius). I thought 'Delboy' beat Helenius the first time around and there's no doubt in my mind that when he's at his best he can easily beat him again, but the question is... Will he be at his best for his next fight? - To be honest, I think the answer to that question is no, which brings me back to the point of a winnable fight.

There's three "winnable" fights out there for him that I think most boxing fans would want to see. A rematch with Sam Sexton (probably the least exciting out of the three), slowly progressing prospect Richard Towers, and heavyweight veteran Audley Harrison.
The most marketable out of these is Audley Harrison. No matter if he wins or loses against Price this Saturday, I think it's still a good fight. Two controversial heavyweights that have something to prove. And most importantly, it's an easily winnable fight for Chisora. I just think his pressure would be too much for Audley and eventually he would break him down and most likely stop him.

So yeah, thats who I want to see Delboy face next. I know that most likely it won't happen... We'll probably see him tossed in with another highly rated up and coming prospect or maybe even Wladimir Klitschko, but as I always say... Us boxing fans can dream ;)

By Jack Price @PriceyJ97.

No comments:

Post a Comment