Tuesday 25 September 2012

Matthew Macklin: I can beat Sergio Martinez!

Macklin finished Alcine in just one round.

British middleweight No.1 Matthew Macklin is coming off of a fantastic first round knockout victory over Joachim Alcine and is very confident in himself as a middleweight contender right now.
"You can never plan on a first round knockout but I know I have that type of power," said Macklin. "It was nice to beat a former champion such as Alcine in such devastating fashion. It was nice to get an early night. My last few fights went twelve rounds and the Martinez fight went eleven. I believe I made a statement in the middleweight division."

Macklin believes that his performance against Alcine should have earned him another shot at the WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. Macklin shocked a lot of people with his performance in the pair's first fight after he was ahead after nine rounds. However, unfortunately he couldn't hold onto the lead and suffered an eleventh round knockout. "Mack The Knife" claims that he has improved already since then and he is the main man that deserves a shot at "Maravilla."

"After having watched Sergio put on such a dominating performance against Chavez Jr prior to the last round and to think in our fight I was ahead after nine rounds. It shows where my standing is in the middleweight division and I believe that I am the only middleweight in the world that can justifiably say that I can beat Sergio Martinez," said Macklin. "It was a masterclass performance by Sergio. He schooled him really. If you look at my performance I am really the only one who can say I can beat Martinez. He is the king of the middleweight division and I am the heir to the throne."
 
By Jack Price @PriceyJ97.

No comments:

Post a Comment