Thursday 16 May 2013

BoxingOpinions Interview: Shane McPhilbin talks Cruiserweight Prizefighter



This weekend Prizefighter returns with 8 well-known British cruiserweights going head-to-head for the winner's rights and the £32,000 prize money at York Hall, Bethnal Green. One man enters the tournament for a second time, this time with even more at stake and more to prove. That men is Bulwell's Shane McPhilbin.

'The Block' (8-6, 5 KO's) got his first break after just 3 fights in the Heavyweight Prizefighter back in 2010. He only reached the semi-final but still became a better and more known fighter from it. Just over a year later his big break came when he defeated Leon Williams in spectacular and dramatic fashion, picking up the British title. However, since that career-high, things haven't quite gone to plan. The 27-year old suffered a controversial loss to Enzo Maccarinelli in his first defense and has also suffered three consecutive defeats since then too. But the motivated fan favourite refuses to give up and has vowed to BoxingOpinions that he will come back strong in this Prizefighter tournament on Saturday night.

Here is what he had to say: 

First of all, what made you want to enter the Prizefighter tournament for the second time on May 18th? Do you feel the format suits you? 

I love everything about Prizefighter, its a great format and it gave me my big break really. I only had 3 pro fights when I went in last time and was down as a reserve but someone pulled out 4 days before and I got the nod. I do think it suits my style yes, its 3x3 and I have always been good in that distance from amateurs to pros.

Last time you lost in the semi-final to Michael Sprott.. What have you learned from that, and are you confident of getting the win this time around?

Don't box a guy that big ever again. Boxing Sprott was a massive honour for me. I watched most of is fights and to share the same ring as him in my 5th pro fight was amazing. I felt I hold my own with him but I think I was a bit star struck and he just picked me off and covered up tight. I learned a lot and have tried to use that in my career. I know I can win this I have never been the favourite in any of my fights really so being the underdog is something I am used to. I have had 6 weeks hard training which have never had before and feel very confident going into Saturday.

You are currently on a 4-fight losing streak. The fans love 'The Block' but do you feel your career may be relying on this?

Saying 4 defeats sounds bad but everybody knows what happened in the Enzo (Maccarinelli) fight, and the Dickinson one he beat me fair and square but I did the 12 rounds, tried my best but our styles did not match and made it a sh*t fight . The last two fights I really let myself down. I should not of really of been in the ring, my head was a mess. Chris Keane is a great boxer and am happy to call him a friend but I would love a rematch with him in the future but I am going to focus on prizefighter and treat it with a clean slate and prove everybody wrong.

Its a strong line-up that consists of some big names. Who would you say is your toughest competition?

There is some great lads in there who are all out to prove something. There's one lad who I think could be a dark horse who not very well known but am not telling. Am a boxer, I love boxing, I'm not saying this in a big headed way but I would fight any of them.

The most anticipated fight is if you meet exciting novice Wadi Camacho at some stage. The fans are expecting a toe-to-toe war. What are predicting for a fight between you and Wadi? 

Wadi is a great prospect and is out to prove something like me. I predict a full on battle if me and him meet.
Do you believe a rematch with guys like Dickinson and Maccarinelli could be down the line if you look impressive here?

Maccarinelli ones gone now I think. I would love to box Dickinson again but just want to take one fight at a time and build myself up again. Am only 27 and still got a few more big fights in me.

Finally, can you give a quick message to all of your loyal fans that will be coming to watch live on Saturday are tuning in on Sky Sports?

Thank you for all support and I will not let you down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment