Thursday 29 November 2012

Lee Purdy Vs Carson Jones - Fight Preview


By James McKnight (@mckjimbo).

Date: Saturday, 8 December 2012 - Venue: Olympia, London

Lee Purdy, who is 25 years of age, with 19 wins (12 by KO), 3 losses and 1 draw, comes into this contest on the back of winning the vacant IBF International welterweight title via a fourth round technical knockout victory over the previously unbeaten, Gumersindo Lucas Carrasco of Argentina. The Colchester boxer, currently ranked number 12 in the IBF rankings, believes a win over Carson Jones will propel him into the top 5 and is in confident mood ahead of this bout: "I took my chance against Carrasco with style and I plan to do the same against Jones." "He fights a bit like me, loves to have a tear-up and I think this could be a great fight."

Carson Jones, is just over nine months older than Purdy and comes into this contest with 34 wins (24 by KO), 9 losses (2 by KO) and 2 draws. His last fight in England in July of this year resulted in defeat, losing a 12 round bruising affair via a majority decision verdict against the now #1 ranked IBF World title challenger, Kell Brook, who had vacated the IBF International belt which Purdy won. 

The Oklahoma City boxer, who is ranked number 7 in the IBF rankings, claims to have never of heard of Purdy before this fight was announced and is shocked that Purdy has taken it: ''I hadn't heard of Purdy until the fight was offered. I think his style is perfectly suited for me and I will go in there and take him out."

My prediction: 

I believe Jones will win this via late rounds stoppage. He has had much more ring experience than his opponent and is probably going to be the toughest opponent Purdy has ever faced. The first quarter of this fight should be quite even, with Jones probably shading it. As the fight enters its second quarter I think Jones' shots will be having more effect on Purdy with Jones getting stronger. Purdy's efforts will prove in vein as the fight enters its final quarter and this is wear I think Jones wins it as Purdy's defense becomes non-existent. If Purdy manages to hear the final bell I believe that will be a great accomplishment for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment