Friday 28 September 2012

Lee Purdy Vs Carson Jones set for December!

Lee Purdy.

It has been announced that Lee Purdy will defend his IBF International welterweight title against Carson Jones in December of this year. The fight will take place in London and will be shown live on Sky Sports.

The 25-year old picked up the title on September 8th at the Alexandra Palace when he put on a fantastic performance and stopped Gumersindo Carrasco in just four rounds. Purdy took the fight and very late notice but came more ready than ever for the biggest opportunity of his career. The win slung him into the welterweight world scene and the IBF now have him ranked just outside of the top 10 welterweights in the world.

"I took my chance against Carrasco with style and I plan to do the same against Jones," said Purdy. "He fights a bit like me, loves to have a tear-up and I think this could be a great fight, and if I win it I am likely to move into the top five of the IBF."

Jones is also coming off of a career-best performance but in a fight he didn't actually win. The American pushed British welterweight No.1 Kell Brook to the limit and lost a tight points decision.

"I honestly cannot believe he wants to fight me considering what I did to one of his stable mates," said Jones. "But I am glad to fight in the UK and think I am on my way to becoming the UK's favourite new adopted son."

"I hadn't heard of Purdy until the fight was offered. I think his style is perfectly suited for me and I will go in there and take him out."

Purdy's promoter Eddie Hearn is excited by the prospect of staging this show in December.

"I really think this could be one to remember," said Hearn. "Lee and his team have fancied the fight with Carson for a while now and when I made the approach it was accepted instantly. Its pretty obvious what kind of fight this is going to be, an out and out barn burner and a chance for Lee to really make his name on the world stage."
 
By Jack Price @PriceyJ97.

No comments:

Post a Comment