Monday 30 July 2012

Billy Joe Saunders to defend title against Fletcher...



British prospect Billy Joe Saunders will be defending his commonwealth middleweight title against Australian rival Jarrod Fletcher in a battle of the undefeated at Wembley Arena on September 14th. 

It will be Saunders, 22, second defence of his title. The hard-hitting Hatfield traveller picked up the title in just 30 seconds against Tony Hill back in April. He then made a successful first defence against Bradley Pryce with a unanimous decision victory. 

Saunders, who was Great Britain's youngest representative at the Beijing 2008 Olympics, has had a perfect career as a pro so far. 28-year old Fletcher is also undefeated with a record of 12-0 with 7 KO's. 

Saunders claims that he is very excited to be facing a dangerous talent like Fletcher in what no doubt will be the toughest test of his career so far.

"This is a good test for me at this stage of my career before I move up to another level," said Saunders. 

"When I've got a test in front of me it makes me train harder and brings the best out of me like you saw against Hill who was a top amateur and had never been stopped as a pro and I went straight through him." 

"Fletcher has got me excited with his unbeaten record and he looks like he can punch a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing if he'll be able to take my shots. I want to be the first to make a black mark on his record." 

"He's also an Aussie, that's adds a bit of spice to our fight with England's rivalry against Australia coming up in big sporting events, but I'll never lose to an Aussie and the title is staying here."

The action pack card is completed by a super-showdown between George Groves and Kenny Anderson (If Groves' cut is healed), Bradley Skeete Vs Chas Symonds for the vacant Southern Area welterweight title, undefeated super-middleweight prospect Frank Buglioni, Gary Corcoran and Mitchell Smith. 

The show will be shown live on BoxNation (SKY 437, Virgin 546). Tickets are priced at £40, £50, £75 and £100 and are available from the Wembley Arena Box Office (0844 815 0815) or online at www.wembleyarena.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment