Thursday 24 May 2012

Klitschko-Price could happen according to Wladimir...


World heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko has revealed that a fight between himself and British prospect David Price could happen soon. He revealed that he is a great admirer of the 6"8 Olympic bronze medallist and believes that he reminds him of himself.

The 36-year old Ukrainian who holds four versions of the heavyweight world title said: "Maybe David Price and I are going to end up fighting. I will not exclude David from my list of possible opponents. We will now see how he develops himself."

British prospect David Price.
"I think David Price is doing an incredible job. I see myself in him in a certain way... He is a couple of inches taller than I am but his technique is pretty much the same as mine, so there are certain similarities between us and my trainer Emmanuel Steward always points them out. When we have watched his fights, Emmanuel says, 'Oh look, he moves like you and even his trunks and his boxing shoes look like yours."

"Manny always thinks he is copying me and likes the way I fight. I agree with Manny because I used to have my idols. Maybe he looks up to me."

Klitschko is currently preparing for a rematch with American heavyweight Tony Thompson.

"I understand that I will not be boxing forever and that is why I am enjoying every moment of it... I think about retirement. I know it will be over some day. Health and motivation are two big factors. If one of those disappears, I am out."

"Always in the history of this sport, the generations change. I am ready and I am there and if a challenge comes, I will take it."

Price is regarded by most as the best heavyweight in Britain and the best heavyweight prospect since Lennox Lewis. He has only had 13 fights but he has knocked out 11 of them with ease, using his trademark straight right hand. His promoter Frank Maloney, who also guided Lennox Lewis to a world title, is certain that Price is a future world champion.

"People may have dismissed David's comment when he said he could become world champion by his 20th fight," said Maloney. "That doesn't look like a bad prediction now. He could probably earn his chance quickly, but is about becoming world champion and having a long reign."

For the time being, Klitschko is preparing for his mandatory defence against Thompson but the chances of a fight between himself and Price seem to be getting bigger and bigger. Maybe soon we could see a world heavyweight champion that is not a Klitschko brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment