Sunday 25 March 2012

David Tua retires from boxing...

Heavyweight boxer David Tua has announced his retirement from boxing, saying he has to walk away from the ring.

The 'Tuaman' who is aged 39 claims he retired because he is no longer capable of preparing physically and mentally for a fight in the squared circle.

If he truly has retired then he has ended his hopes of becoming the heavyweight world champion, something he has always said is his destiny.

"See my boots... One is on the ground and one is hanging up. Right now, as of this very moment, I am retired... I love it [boxing], it is my life. I may have retired from the game itself, but I will never retire from daily challenges... You always face challenges, no matter what."

Tua turned pro after he won a bronze medal at the 1992 Olympics at the young age of 19. He challenged Lennox Lewis for the heavyweight world title in 2000 but was unsuccessful.

Over his long career Tua has experienced many problems including his legal troubles with his former management which cost him around $4 million. This means that he will have to walk away from boxing with little rewards, financially and asset wise.

He currently sleeps in his boxing gym in Onehunga and occasionally stays at his mother's house.  Despite everything that has happened he still says he has no regrets: "I am very happy with what I have been able to accomplish so far. I don't live with regrets, and success for me will be my boys... There is nothing to be sad about. I have my health. Every day above ground is paradise."

No matter what, David Tua will be remembered as a great boxer by all boxing fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment