Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Fans Have Voted: Barker Vs Geale

The fans are getting behind 'Dazzling' Darren!


This Saturday is a very big night for British boxing fans, with 2 world titles on the line. Nathan Cleverly defends his WBO light-heavyweight title against hard-hitting Russian Sergey Kovalev in a mouth-watering fight, but what is arguably an even bigger fight for British boxing is Darren Barker's world title challenge against IBF middleweight champ Daniel Geale. The fight will take place in Atlantic City and will be televised live on Sky Sports in the early hours of Sunday morning in the UK.


Now for me, this is a 50/50 fight. If anything, I would make Daniel Geale the favorite. However, the British fans have fully got behind their man and seem to be growing in confidence that he will become Britain's 5th world champ as you can see by the results of our recent vote on Twitter (@BoxingOpinions1):

Darren Barker to win - 76%

Points: 80%     KO: 20%

Daniel Geale to win - 24%

Points: 50%     KO: 50%


So as you can see from the results, the fans in this vote (who are mostly British) are pretty confident that Barker will do a job on Geale. 80% believe he will take a points decision with 20% picking him to get the KO. Geale, over the past year or so, has emerged as a star in the middleweight division. With wins over the likes of Sebastien Sylvester, Felix Sturm & Anthony Mundine in his last few fights, it is crazy to think that he is being almost overlooked in this fight. Only 24% are picking him to win, half of them by KO, half on points.

I too am British & I too am hoping for a Barker win, but unfortunately I see this being a disappointing fight for British fight fans. I rate Barker highly in the middleweight division but I rate Geale even higher and although Barker may be the more naturally talented, it seems like Geale is just a better all-rounder at world level. I hate to say it but I see Barker losing a close unanimous decision and Geale retaining his world title. I hope I'm wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment