Monday 4 March 2013

Interview With Lucas Browne!

We chat to one of the most exciting heavyweights in the world today... 
Lucas 'Big Daddy' Browne!

(15-0, 14 KO's)
First of all, congratulations on your most recent win over Masataka Takehara. Did you expect it to be so easy?

To be honest I wasn't expecting it at all. He took Alex leapai the distance and I thought he would've been there for at least 5-6 rounds

Your next outing is in Melbourne on April 26th.. What do you know about your opponent Franklin Egobi?

At this stage I am fighting on that show but it's looking like I'll be fighting James toney.. Now that's a fight I've been looking for.. It's not 100% booked in but it's looking good.

You're moving closer and closer to a Commonwealth title shot against David Price.. Is it a fight you're ready for and would you travel to Liverpool to fight him?

I personally would like to have a few more fights and gain a little more experience and exposure before I face off against him... I'll travel anywhere to fight in the big fights, it doesn't bother me at all.

What other British heavyweights would you like to take on in the near future? Tyson Fury? Dereck Chisora?


I've always wanted to fight Chisora, I think it would be a good and exciting fight for the boxing public.. (Audley) Harrison and his recent success has made me want to fight him as well, and of course Fury and Price... Fights like that will make me as well known as I will need to be to get to the top.

You have 14 knockouts out of 15 fights, is there anyone out there who can handle your power?

I've got a sensational ko record and there's no secret that I've got some big power in my hands, but I think the scariest thing about all this is that I've only scratched the surface of what I can do. I've also never thrown and landed a left hook yet, and it's stronger than my right.. 

Australian boxing seems to be getting stronger and stronger as the months go by.. What is it like out there at the moment? Are there a lot of boxing fans?

Boxing in oz is great and there are some really talented fighters here, but, a very large majority including myself still have to work part or full time jobs to be able to survive. The lack of real money fights and sponsorship is the one thing holding us back from being all we can be.

You've got a big following in Australia and overseas. Could you give a message to your growing fan base?

The one message to boxing fans that I would like to say is - ive only been boxing for a little over 2 years and this is where I'm at already, I'm learning more and more everyday, and want to be the best in the world.. Imagine where I'll be in another 2 years... Stay tuned.

Could you tell us a bit about your fighting background and the boxing team you are currently with?

The one message to boxing fans that I would like to say is - ive only been boxing for a little over 2 years and this is where I'm at already, I'm learning more and more everyday, and want to be the best in the world.. Imagine where I'll be in another 2 years... Stay tuned.

Is there anyone that you base your fighting style on? What past boxing legends would you compare your style to?

I've never really thought of copying a style so to speak, I do what feels good to me in my head, and it's not really any style. Depending on the person I'm fighting I will change from being a long range fighter, then switch to close range, then something else. I think on the run and have the physical ability to do alot of things someone my size could not.. I've always loved Mike Tyson for his power and animal instinct, and Lennox Lewis due to his height and size, and his style suits me a little more. In saying that though, I think everyone thinks they're Ali at some point in their lives hahaha

Ricky Hatton is looking to stage a lot of shows overseas in places like Hong Kong and America.. Has he specified any short-term plans that he has for you?

Ricky is a very good promoter and knows his stuff and has a great team  behind him. I've fought on his first Hong Kong promotion and I think it went very well and am looking forward to any promotion he has anywhere in the world.

How long do you think it will be until you're ready to start making an impact on the world level?

I think this year is my year to make people sit up and take notice.. I'm big and easily recognizable and market myself well, so I think as long as I stay active, keep winning, and fight good exciting fights while still learning and getting better, I'll be world class by this time next year.

Can you see yourself sharing the ring with a Klitschko in the next few years?

If the brothers are still around by then and are still holding the titles then yes of course. I'll fight anyone I need to  to get where I need to be. 

Other than yourself, what up-and-coming heavyweight do you believe stands the most chance of making it on world level?

That's a hard one to answer because I think the heavyweight division is a hard thing to judge. One punch can end a fight and or a career path and makes things change in the blink of an eye, just ask Price. I think anyone in the top 50 has a chance if they really want it, it's a matter of how much they want it and what they are willing to do to get it.

Finally, I'd just like to say a big thanks to you for taking the time out to do this interview. I know the fans will be looking forward to knowing more about one of the most exciting heavyweights around today.


Thankyou so much for this opportunity and I'm very excited to be able to do what I love and give people a good show at the same time.. Watch this space, there's big things to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment