Friday 28 December 2012

Abner Mares considering a move to featherweight!

By Jack Price @PriceyJ97. 

WBC super-bantamweight world champion Abner Mares is considering a move up in weight if a unification bout with WBO champ Nonito Donaire cannot be made.

"My promoter (Golden Boy) and Top Rank said they are pushing for this fight, but to be frank I'm hopeful that someday they can do it and it disappoints me a lot, because it's a big fight for me and people want it," Mares told Rene Umanzor of The Record. "In my division there is nothing but opponents who are just coming up, and I do not want to be (a) step (for them). I want to fight the best, and right now I (I'm thinking about moving to featherweight) to face a champion in that division."

Golden Boy's chief promoter Oscar De La Hoya recently went on record saying that he would love to stage a fight between Mares and IBF bantamweight champ Leo Santa Cruz. Mares, 27, claims that he is willing to face Cruz but would much rather take on Donaire.



"I have no problems with confronting Santa Cruz, he's very good," he added. "But it disappoints me a lot because I'm asking for a big fight like Nonito and (they) want me to fight somebody else."

Fingers crossed that a fight can be made between Abner Mares and Nonito Donaire soon. Despite Mares claiming that there is only "upcoming" fighters at 122lb right now, it is actually one of, if not the most competitive divisions at this current time. Donaire is the best, but it isn't the only fight out there for the Mexican at the moment. Guillermo Rigondeaux, Leo Santa Cruz, Toshiaki Nishioka could all be tough tests for the pound-for-pound contender. There's a few big names at featherweight but nowhere near as exciting match-ups as there currently is at super-bantamweight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment