Wednesday 31 October 2012

De La Hoya: I wish I could return, but I can't!

Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya has recently fuelled rumours of him returning to the ring with tweets such as; "I'm really confident I can do some damage to any 54 pounder in the world except Saul Canelo Alvarez." He has also tweeted pictures of him in training gear after a workout. 

Now obviously, the boxing world immediately began speculating that the "Golden Boy" might be planning to come out of retirement. However, the 39-year old Californian claims that he is not planning to ever get back into the squared circle.

"I wish I could. Seriously. Look, I love training and I'm actually even hitting the heavy bag, working out and this and that. I love boxing. I love boxing man and it hurts me deep down inside that I can't. I just can't. I wish I could, and I want to. I wake up every single morning thinking maybe today, maybe I turned back the clock and maybe I can! But I can't, I can't do it. And it hurts me. I wish I could but I can't," said De La Hoya to boxingscene.com.

What he just said actually sums up completely my thoughts on whether De La Hoya will return or not. He wants to, but he never will. He has the urge to get back in there one more time but the risk isn't worth it. He still plays a massive role in boxing right now and can always look back on a fantastic career.

By Jack Price @PriceyJ97.

No comments:

Post a Comment