Tuesday 9 October 2012

Cotto congratulates Orlando Cruz for "coming out"...


Just recently the boxing world found out that Puerto Rican Olympian and No.4 WBO ranked feather Orlando Cruz had come out as a gay man. In a "macho" sport like boxing, we were unaware of what the reaction would be to this story and thankfully the first official statement on the situation was a respectful one from Cruz's fellow countryman Miguel Cotto.

Cotto, who is without doubt Puerto Rico's biggest boxing star of recent years, had this to say:

"For many years Orlandito and I spent time together on the national team of Puerto Rico. We went to the Central, Pan American, World Championships, Olympics... I have a great appreciation for Orlandito."

"I congratulate him... Orlandito is my friend. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him, but I congratulate him. From this point forward he will see that his life will change a lot and things will be much better for him."

Now its inevitable that Cruz will receive some criticism for this at some points down the line but I think most of the boxing world and the respectful boxing superstars of today, along with the fans, will respect his decision and treat him the same as every other boxer out there.
 
By Jack Price @PriceyJ97.

No comments:

Post a Comment