Wednesday 27 June 2012

Asamoah Gyan enters the world of boxing!

Asamoah Gyan for former club Sunderland.
Worldwide football star Asamoah Gyan will be making his debut in the sport of boxing on July 6th, when he promotes his first show as a boxing promoter. The former Sunderland striker is also a chart-topping rapper, so it comes as no surprise that he wants to add yet another job to his CV.

The boxing show takes place in his native Accra, Ghana and will be headlined by a super-bantamweight showdown between Ghanaian champion Raymond Commey and Emmanuel Quartey. The undercard consists of a bunch of other stars from Gyan's home country, Ghana.

Gyan was recently named as the highest paid African sportsman in the world and he is hoping that his promotional company BabyJet Promotions will just add to his success. He is a big fan of the 'noble art' and revealed that he does take part in boxing training from time-to-time.

"I've got the passion for it and I feel like training to maintain my strength, not that I want to fight myself," told Gyan. "I love the game, it's my passion."

"I've been following most of the fights and I'm a big fan of Floyd Mayweather and Joshua Clottey. I am a Ghanaian and I want to help my country because when I come on holidays it's like no boxing is going on... Ghana has a lot of great boxers previously like Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey and Joshua Clottey, so we need to push the young ones coming up. As a Ghanaian I need to encourage the young ones coming up and those who want to achieve their aim."


No comments:

Post a Comment