Thursday 26 April 2012

Billy Joe Saunders ready to rock the Royal Albert Hall!

Middleweight prospect Billy Joe Saunders.
Former Olympian Billy Joe Saunders intends to continue with his undefeated record at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday night. He will headline the show against Tony Hill for the vacant Commonwealth middleweight crown.

Saunders was only 18-years old when he took part in the Beijing Olympics in 2008 but he insists that he has no regrets about turning pro and missing London 2012.

"Of course in the Olympic year, you do think what might have been," said Saunders.

"I had a good chance when I went to Beijing and the guy who beat me, I'd beaten him three weeks before and he went on to win silver... I was only 18 and I'd be 22 if I was competing at London. I'm stronger and more experienced and I know I would have won gold."

"But as an amateur, the highest level you can box at is the Olympics. I did that at 18 and felt it was time to move onto other challenges and turn professional... "I'm fighting for the Commonwealth title on Saturday and I believe I'll be ready for a world title shot in the next 18 months."

Saunders is thrilled to be topping the bill at the first professional boxing show at the Royal Albert Hall in 13 years. He was originally meant to be the chief support but light-heavyweight Nathan Cleverly was forced to pull out of his world title fight.

"When I heard the news, it was a really really good feeling... When you think of the names who have boxed there, it's a privilege... It's the best feeling I've had since turning pro!"

No comments:

Post a Comment